I tend to write my prayers.
If I don’t, I become distracted and end up staring at birds out the
window. I have found that when I am with
‘Papa,’ even staring out the window at birds can be quite productive. But today I wrote. My words are in regular type, the words I
believe He spoke to me are italicized.
(Yes. Of course I believe He speaks in real-time! Don’t you?)
Papa, gently your peace and perspective break in upon my
soul. Thank you for pointing me again
toward the Real. Thank you for again reminding me that
soul connection and peace with You are the lasting things and will
pass all understanding.
(Here I began to sense that I should read and annotate the 23rd
Psalm. So I did.)
The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not (or do not) want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters (lit. waters of rest).
Psalm 23: 1-2 (NASB)
What do “green pastures”
look like to you?
They look like a fertile place that is the natural habitat
and suits the natural palate of everyone You lead to it.
It doesn’t sound like a hard or harsh or artificial place. It is not a feedlot or stockyard where You
are just fattening up Your flock on things that are not good for them (crude
generalizations, religious clichés and compulsion), so that You can rush out
Your ‘product’ (stout little ministers and ministries—homogenized, uniform) as
fast as you can.
What about “waters of
rest?”
A place of refreshing.
You lead me beside these
waters. Life-giving refreshment is
always close at hand. I can rest because
I know they are near. I do not have to
be apprehensive about the water supply.
All of these things
denote a pleasant place, yes, a place that is bringing forth what you need, but
bringing it forth in beauty and abundance.
You have joy in this place, yes, joy because here your soul is uniting
with some of its self-same fibers and delighting in the reunion. Think wind in trees and grasses. Think of the burbling of water. Its sound personifies coolness. Water is iridescent; its joy cannot be
contained in one color. It bubbles over
the rocks in its path; its droplets leap up in an exuberance of Self! This is what water is and does. Hallelujah, Amen!
Any ‘exuberance of Self’
is soundly condemned in religious cliché.
This is a clumsy mishandling of truth that belies My power to change the
dynamic of a thing. Self, like sexuality,
becomes holy when ‘baptized,’ when enjoyed according to the sanctions I have
put in place. The development and
enjoyment your Very Self (talents, tastes) becomes a most holy form of
worship. It is a wordless Doxology to My
Creatorship! It is a pure praise,
nothing lost in a distillation into phrase, rhyme, hymnbook and pew-back. This organic fruit I consume fresh and whole.
The “waters of rest”
aren't just about provision for needs. They
are about joy in My Presence. Oh, the
brazen Audacity of Joy! Joy is
trust. Joy is the ‘symptom’ of your
security in Me. Have the Audacity to Joy
in your joyless place (a cursed land, this realm in which you live) and you will
see. Only a curtain separates you from
green pastures and waters of rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment